NZS 1170.5: 2004 NEW AMENDMENT
1 November 2016
NZS 1170.5:2004 - Structural Design Actions - Earthquake Actions - New Zealand has been updated by Amendment 1: 2016, and similarly NZS 1170.5 Supp 1:2004 - Structural Design Actions - Earthquake Actions - New Zealand Commentary, has been updated by Amendment 1: 2016.
These new amendments address recommendations from the Canterbury Earthquakes Royal Commission where sufficient information and agreement was available to support implementation. In addition, errors in the original published standard and commentary have been corrected and included in these amendments.
There have been wide ranging amendments but the main areas of NZS 1170.5:2004 affected involve:
- Section 7: Earthquake Induced Deflections, particularly horizontal deflection
- Section 6: Structural analysis, a number of new and changed items
- Section 3: Site Hazard Spectra, a lot of changes, note changes to Fig 3.3 & 3.4
- Section 4: Structural Characteristics, particularly the addition of 4.5.3 ratcheting
- Section 8: Parts & Components, parts supported on ledges added, note changes to Table 8.1
- Section 5: Design Earthquake Actions, diaphragms added, some changes to horizontal design action equations
- Appendix A: a number of new and added definitions, in particular Canterbury Earthquake Region added and ULS amended
- Appendix B: a substantial number of new notations added
Due to the way Masterspec refers to NZS 1170.5 there has been little need to change Masterspec sections. However, for Health and Safety reasons, Masterspec has adopted Amendment 1, which is an Alternative Solution to NZBC B1/VM1.