AMENDMENTS TO NZBC H1 ENERGY EFFICIENCY
Published 29 March 2017
Amendment 3 to NZBC H1 has resulted in a full reprint of the whole document. This unfortunately means there are no amendment indicators through the document that make it easy to see the changes.
However most of the amendments revolve around the update of NZS 4218 Thermal Insulation - Housing and Small Buildings, from 2004 to 2009. This update of the Standard also includes a name change for the Standard.
- The minimum R value Tables, 1, 2a, 2b, 3 and 4 have been deleted from both NZBC H1/VM1 and NZBC H1/AS1. So minimum R values will now come direct from the tables in NZS 4218 (these are virtually identical so should not affect much).
- NZBC H1/VM1, 1.1 Modelling of Housing and Small Buildings is now slightly more precise about the use of NZS 4218 as a Verification Method.
- NZBC H1/AS1, 2.1.6 modifies NZS 4218, 4.2.1 to allow the Calculation Method to be used for 50% or less glazing area. NZS 4218 states only 40% or less glazing area.
- NZBC H1/AS1, 2.1.7 modifies NZS 4218, 4.2.7 to allow the Calculation Method to work out different values for larger exterior doors. NZS 4218 only allows a value of zero.
- NZBC H1/AS1, 2.1.5 adds to NZS 4218, 3.2, that "concrete slabs-on-ground floors are deemed to achieve a construction R-value of 1.3, unless a higher R-value is justified by calculation or physical testing". It is worth noting that, from the R-value tables, R1.3 for floors is the minimum value for above floor "Non-solid construction" and "Solid timber construction", but some options of "Solid construction" (not timber) require a higher value, and heated floors for all methods of construction require a higher value.
- NZBC H1/AS1, 1.0.2 specifically excludes the use of foil insulation for the purpose of being an Acceptable Solution, under H1/AS1, for energy efficiency. Note, this does not preclude the use of foil for other purposes (except do not use under residential floors).
Masterspec sections related to NZBC H1 and NZS 4218 have been updated. The most detailed affects are in those sections related to insulation. Most of the changes are minor but it has affected a lot of sections.