FURTHER CHANGES PROPOSED TO NZBC C PROTECTION FROM FIRE
MBIE have released for consultation, further proposed changes to the Acceptable Solutions and Verification Methods of NZBC C Protection from Fire. The consultation closes on 9 May 2014.
Most of the proposed changes seem to be an attempt to clarify items, but unfortunately they also change some recent amendments.
The proposed changes for the most part are not radical, but they are wide spread. Some of the highlights are:C/VM2 (and all AS’s)
- New Table B1 Specified Performance for some Flooring Materials. This table provides generic Critical Radiant Flux figures for the following flooring materials; concrete, brick, ceramic or porcelain tiles, wood products, plywood and solid timber. No further testing evidence will be required, unless a higher figure is necessary. (C/VM2 Appendix B)
- Table 1.1 Risk Groups and Acceptable Solutions, has additional and changed descriptions under applications
C/AS2 to AS7
- Additional requirements for Type 18 hydrant system in multi storey buildings. (2.2.1)
- Additional requirements for smoke lobbies for lifts, plusa new Figure 3.17A Lift and Smoke separation when landing on a horizontal safe path. (3.10.5)
- New clause on mandatory re-entry form safe vertical path back onto floors. (3.15.2.d)
- Smoke detection option deleted from restricted roof/ceiling spaces. (4.15.6)
- Wood and wood product floors – “thickness of not less than nominally 20mm”. (4.17.5). (This is an odd way to express it, can it be less than 20mm, and just how much less than 20mm is nominal and will you be allowed to use it?)
- Projection bays in external walls that must be fire rated, will require fire rated floors. (5.6.8)
- Revised Figure 5.7 Separation of Unprotected Areas, now includes a horizontal separation for openings with a vertical separation less than 1500mm. (not all AS’s)
- Table 4.1 – Group number requirement for acoustic insulation and pipe insulation within air handling plenums has been deleted. (C/AS 4 and AS5)
- Definition of Notional Boundary added.
- Notional Boundary used as one of the circumstances to be considered when fire rated external walls are required. (5.1A)
The range of changes is too extensive to list fully here, refer to MBIE for details.
- New Figure 1.1.a) The Design Process Overview for C/VM2. Other figure 1.1’s, b to k, are transferred to the commentary.
- More detail added to Fire Modelling Rules for Life Safety Design. (2.2.1)
- More detail on Peak HRR/HRR/m² added to Table 2.1.
- New added clause 2.5 Equivalent Time of Exposure.
- Floors removed from Table 2.4.
- Table 3.1 Occupant Densities, amended.
- 4.1 (BE) – escape routes for more than 250 occupants added.
- 4.2 (UT) – alarm type for more than 150 occupants added.
- 4.5 (HS) – Substantial changes under Scenario Description, note the change from the term “firecell” to “space”.
- 4.6 (VS) - Substantial changes under Scenario Description and Method, Note change to 4.6 title, “cladding” has been deleted, also a new part C has been added
Masterspec will monitor the development of these proposed changes and review the effect on the work sections when the changes are finalised by MBIE.
If you wish to make comment or view the proposed changes go to: