A BIG MONTH OF CHANGES TO STANDARDS
This month has seen a lot more changes to Standards than normal! Some have made their way into the Masterspec sections for this April release. Some changes we are still working on, reviewing and adapting these into the sections they affect - these will be published in the Masterspec May section release.
New & Amended Standards used in Masterspec
- References to the new version of NZS 3121: 2015 Water And Aggregate For Concrete have now been included in Masterspec's updated concrete and plastering work sections. Note in 3106 CONCRETE QUALITY CONTROL the chloride ion (Cl) maximum concentration requirement has been corrected from 50ppm to 500ppm.
- The new version of AS/NZS 3582.1:2016 Supplementary Cementitious Materials - Fly Ash, replaces the old AS 3582.1: 1998 and has been included in the updated section 3106 CONCRETE QUALITY CONTROL.
- The new version of AS/NZS 61347.2.3 Lamp Controlgear - Particulars Requirements For A.C. And/Or D.C Supplied Electronic Controlgear For Fluorescent Lamps has been included in the updated section 7741 LIGHT FITTINGS.
- The new version of AS/NZS 3112 Approval And Test Specification - Plugs And Socket-Outlets, used in electrical sections, did not require any changes to the sections except for the addition of a missing title.
New & Amended Standards cited in NZBC
Where a Standard is cited in the NZ Building Code (NZBC) in most cases Masterspec will use that old cited version rather than the new version which would be an Alternative Solution. To define it as an old version, a Standard will have the year attached to it when listed in the DOCUMENTS clause at the beginning of the section involved. A Standard without a year means the latest version of that Standard, this is explained in section 1233 REFERENCED DOCUMENTS, which is why 1233 should always be included in the project specification (except for Minor).
AS/NZS 60598.2.2 Luminaires - Particular Requirements - Recessed Luminaires, has now been dated in relevant sections as the old version 2001 (as referenced in the NZ Building Code) instead of the new version 2016. An explanation guidance note has been added to make this clear. This Standard is used extensively in the insulation and electrical sections which have been updated.
Similarly most of the set of Standards under NZS 4223 Glazing In Buildings, have been amended by Standards NZ, these include:
- NZS 4223.1 Glazing In Buildings - Glass Selection And Glazing, is still 2008 but has new amendment A1
- NZS 4223.2 Glazing In Buildings - Insulating Glass Units, 1985 is cited, although the new Standard is 2016
- NZS 4223.3 Glazing In Buildings - Human Impact Safety Requirements, will remain 1999 although the new Standard is 2016
- NZS 4223.4 Glazing In Buildings - Wind, Dead, Snow And Live Action, is still 2008 but has new amendment A1
- NZS 4223.Supp 1 Glazing In Buildings - Supplement 1 To NZS 4223.1:2008 and NZS 4223.4:2008, has not been amended by Standards
These parts of NZS 4223 are used extensively in the glazing and window sections which we are in the process of updating.